Glue Can Be Fatal to Our Dogs Without Immediate Treatment
Auto Beauty Business Culture Dieting DIY Events Fashion Finance Food Freelancing Gardening Health Hobbies Home Internet Jobs Law Local Media Men's Health Mobile Nutrition Parenting Pets Pregnancy Products Psychology Real Estate Relationships Science Seniors Sports Technology Travel Wellness Women's Health

Glue Can Be Fatal to Our Dogs Without Immediate Treatment

It is sometimes difficult to puppy proof our homes from everything we use. Pets can find some of the strangest things to put in their mouths . . . including glue. Some may not be harmful . . . others can be fatal.

Do you have a curious pet that gets into anything and everything that they can find? Have you ever felt concerned about glue, as strange as it may seem Our pets can get into some of the strangest things. We all know how our children would put anything in their mouths when they were infants. Our pets are even more curious and unaware of what is and is not safe for them. We as the pet parents have to be so careful about anything and everything that is within reach of our beloved four-legged family members.

Most of us have glue in our homes for various reasons . . . school work, crafts, home repairs and more. If the glue is left out, spilled, leaking from the area it was applied or accessible in any way, your dog may be curious to “see what it taste like”. When we realize something is toxic to our pets we try to keep those items out of reach. Not all glue is toxic to our pets such as super glue which contain ingredients like ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate 50 100% and poly (methylmethacrylate 2-30%). The ingredients cause a rapid strong adhesion upon contact with another surface. These types of household glues are not the expandable type glue and ingestion may cause a mild oral irritation.

There is a particular type of expandable glue that we need to be especially careful about. Common names for this water-activated glue are commonly named Gorilla Glue, Probond, Titebond, and Ultimate Polyurethane Glue. If your dog ingests any of these glues, it can be quite serious, requiring surgery.

When this glue is ingested by your dog and gets into the stomach, it becomes activated by the stomach fluids. An ingredient called Diphenylmethane diisocyanate which expands and just gets larger and very hard when in a warm, moist environment. Your dog will not be able to pass it, digest it or vomit it.

If you have not seen your dog get into the glue, some of the symptoms may be excessive drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting or attempting to vomit without success and a swollen stomach which is very tender to the touch. If the stomach feels hard as a rock, seek immediate veterinarian attention.

The only solution is surgical removal followed by an overnight stay and intravenous fluid therapy. Upon returning home with your dog, your veterinarian may prescribe anti-biotic drug therapy and a soft diet for at least a week.

The labeling on these gorilla type glues do not give much warning to its dangers other than “do not swallow” so it is your responsibility as the pet parent to keep this and all toxic items out of the reach of your dog. It really is for your dog’s own good . . . and well-being.

Looking for pet supplies? Save when shopping online by using the latet pet supplies coupons and pay less at popular retailers and brands. Find deals for popular pet supplies stores using community-sourced coupons and deals.
Need an answer?
Get insightful answers from community-recommended
experts
in Pet Health on Knoji.
Would you recommend this author as an expert in Pet Health?
You have 0 recommendations remaining to grant today.
Comments (0)
ARTICLE DETAILS
RELATED ARTICLES
RELATED CATEGORIES